It offered great interaction and made participants think carefully about how we communicate.
Communication Skills for Project Managers
A technical person becomes a project manager based on project experience, yet communication skills are more important.
Yet communication skills are essential when talking with clients, sharing project status, resolving problems and finding solutions.
Writing, listening, and speaking effectively is what gets the job done on time and within budget.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand what communication is
- Identify ways that communication can happen
- Identify barriers to communication and how to overcome them
- Communicate clear, concise and complete messages
- Develop their non-verbal and paraverbal communication skills
- Organize the writing task
- Identify primary information and direct readers’ attention to it
- Differentiate between ‘need to know’ and ‘nice to know’ information
- Structure written information in a logical order to increase readability
- Write requests, progress and project completion reports
- Use the STAR method to speak on the spot
- Listen actively and effectively
- Use email, text messages and voice mail effectively and productively
- Understand diverse communication styles
The practical application of the course impressed me. I expected a lecture but the exercises broke up the content.
For the first time, I critically looked at how I communicate and the image I am presenting.