Excellent. I recommend this to anyone in the technical fields whose work entails any written communications.
Get to the Point! A Practical Writing Course for Technical Professionals
Don't waste your audience's time: Be clear, concise, complete and confident in your communications.
Most techincal professionals avoided writing classes but now find that to succeed, they must be able to put their ideas and information in writing. Emails, reports, proposals, recommendations, and business cases are still the most effective way we deliver information. How you communicate is what will differentiate you and your organization from your competition.
We have delivered this course for nearly 50 years and offer simple yet practical techniques, designed for technical people.
This comprehensive agenda introduces participants to the Pyramid Method of WritingTM and applies it to several writing situations. Participants will also receive personal feedback on at least three writing assignments and experience group and individual exercises.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
• Organize the writing task
• Identify primary information and direct readers’ attention to it
• Differentiate between ‘need to know’ and ‘nice to know’ information
• Structure information in a logical order to increase readability
• Match the language and tone to the audience level of knowledge
• Create a confident, effective writing style and image
• Understand common grammar issues and rules
• Use email, text messages and voice mail effectively and productively
• Communicate clear, concise and complete messages
The individual and group exercises helped me practice the new concepts.
The course is extremely helpful in forcing technical professionals to 'get to the point' and use a more logical and audiencel-oriented approach to writing.